Looks like my predictions on the Expansion were pretty much as wrong as you can get! Although I cant say that disappoints me much.
Perhaps expansion are a bit like waiters and toilets. Hmm that perhaps needs some explaining… When you are a restaurant and the food seems to take an age to arrive. Generally I find the only sure fire way to speed things up is to go to the loo. Generally the moment your out of sight of the table all the food arrives. I guess deciding to predict the next expansion as something non PvP means we get a PvP expansion. I’ll keep this theory in mind come summer.
Sadly I missed that actual twitch stream (because I was at a wedding Fair >.<), but so far every thing looks pretty awesome. I’m still digesting a lot of the release (and trying to find the details that people who watched the stream are taking for granted. I’ll hold off on long posts until I have more details, but here are my first thoughts on the announced features so far:
- Structures: pretty cool in general, like the idea of them being destructible in high sec. Also looks like the beginnings of modular POS’s (I guess I kinda predicted something right?)
- Space Yurt: Awesome
- Mini Jammer: sweet, esp that BLOPS isnt effected
- Tractor: Bleh, but I can see its usage. Hope its mega expensive for PvE tears… Risk and reward baby.
- SOE ships: Looking mega sexy. Blops fleets are going to get very popular. At the moment they are fragile hit and run platforms, but if the SOE ships are combat capable, they could become the backbone of BLOPS doctrines which can actually engage outside of a standard gank
- Interceptor Balance: Fleet wise I am all for the Bubble immunity. My first 0.0 role was that of fast tackle, and I still hold a place in my heart for these nippy ships. Unfortunately, even with bubble immunity, they are too easily killed to risk my implants and clone costs to fly. Out side of fleets Bubble immunity kinda sucks (see T3’s) I dislike definitive immunities because I feel they leave no room for skill or luck. for a further explanation see Arians post on Super Capital Immunities.
- Interdictor Balance: Again I really want to get into Interdiction, but the smaller variety are space coffins. I’ll hold judgement until the actual change are announced however.
- Highsec Poco: Good news, and an interesting precedent for capsular controlling Highsec, given the “Dream” Seagull is selling us wholesale, could be the start of something good
- Certificates: Interesting. CCP demo’d some interesting potential new skill trees at fanfest. Clearly these had quite some work put into them, although CCP didn’t commit to them being “Production items”. I expect these “certificate changes” to be the offspring of these ideas, which looked pretty awesome. Edit: Looks like this album from the screen, pretty much confirms that this is exactly what the overhaul is.
Looks like a good expansion, and this is only the beginning. Lets see how much more comes out.